Mtn. Biking

A new mountain biking season is upon us, and we are well-prepared. (If we're a little less financially stable as a result, it'll be worth it. Probably.)

Eli got a new carbon fiber, dual shock, dropper post, etc. bike. (He'll have to come fix the terminology here.) Since Jonah is just beginning, he gets Eli's last bike (fixed up nicely) to learn on. Tori gets Jonah's last mtn. bike and Maggie gets a cool one I found at a garage sale. We're all set.
Riding at McCoy Flats.


Eli's new bike has had an interesting effect. Last year, Eli did well, but was content to be kind of a middle-of-the-pack guy. At practices, the coach would break the riders into skill levels and send them off on the trails that suited each group, but he'd often let them choose which group to join. Eli would never pick the top groups with the harder rides. This year, Jesse bases their rides on the most recent time trial, and Eli came in fifth! He's always with the top group, and he's consistently one of the earliest to get back. It's been so exciting! I asked Jesse if it was the bike, and he said he thought the bike only accounted for about 20%. So, it's just giving Eli a psychological edge. I asked Eli about it, and he said he didn't want kids thinking that he had a great bike, but he "sucked." So, there you go.

Jonah has been a bit nervous getting started, since he's had no experience, but he's progressing rapidly, and we're so proud of him. It will be great having two to cheer on!

And here are some other impressive kids:

No comments:

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...