Tori the Tigerette

Tori is a Terra Tigerette! This has all happened very suddenly, and we didn't really know what we were getting into. But she's excited.

Last year, she was on the charter school dance team, but it never really got off the ground. I don't think they even performed at all, despite months of inconsistent practicing. This year, they put the PE teacher in charge. (She was the drill team advisor at Uintah High for two years - and drill is a big deal there.) I should have known that this would be a big deal here from the intense tryouts: early morning practices with two difficult routines, letters of recommendation, etc. The team includes jr. high age, since they don't have enough high school girls to fill it. Anyway, Tori made it, and now I get to take her to 6:00 am practices three times a week! She has always been a talented dancer, so I don't really mind supporting her. This will take her to the next level, and she's enjoying it. I'm glad that she has something to be a part of, and to be proud of, as she navigates the difficult middle school social scene.

The school also has a basketball team this year, but the girls will only cheer at home and local games. (Whew!)

They had a get-to-know-you party recently. They filled out a questionnaire and then tried to guess who answered what. Tori put down that she wanted to have 10 kids someday, and that her celebrity crush was David Archuleta. She said the others kind of laughed - they had put down 2-3 kids and famous rappers and youtubers. I was proud of her for being herself! (And she didn't mind the teasing.)

So, their big debut was at the school carnival recently. They ran the face painting booth and then performed a dance later that evening. (Her coach did their make-up beforehand. Tori doesn't wear much make-up on her own.) Their dance was very impressive!
Tori is the one in the back.
A team picture they just had taken.



And here's a shot of Maggie dunking Eli's math teacher at the carnival:


No comments:

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...