Barrus Reunion - NY

Megan played the piano for Tori's baptism.  Whenever she would practice, Maggie would help.

We had a fabulous time hosting John's family here this July! You would think that it would be stressful, but his mom, sisters, and nieces (and nephews) are so helpful. They pretty much take over, and I hardly have to do anything myself - which is how I prefer it! :) The only thing that was stressful was the fact that it was horribly hot, and we don't have central air. (For two weeks, including the time they were here, the heat was intense - but before and after then it has been pleasant. Cool even.) And I also felt bad that we didn't have enough room for everyone to sleep comfortably.  But I guess they knew that coming in.  We spent a couple of days in Palmyra, and got hotel rooms, so we could just stay by the sites after the pageant.  On Thur., I had the kids in Charlotte's fancy motor home while everyone else did baptisms in the Palmyra Temple.  We were going to do baptism pictures of Tori and Eve, as I mentioned in the last post, but it was raining.  Just during that time, and not enough to cool things off at all.  After that, we had a picnic and went to the Grandin Press building.
Where they printed the Book of Mormon.


After the tour, we decided to go over to the Hill Cumorah Pageant, even though it was pretty early.  (I'm not a fan of early, generally speaking. :)  We got some food from vendors there - sold by local community groups. Then we visited with each other and the actors who mingle with the audience.  I had assumed that most -or all - of the actors would be local people, but actually I don't think I met any locals.  They came from all over for these few weeks of rehearsal and performances.  But ward members speak very fondly of their time being in the pageant.  I thought the pageant was well done.  It had some great special effects!
Don't let the smiles fool you.  They're all melting!
You can see why my kids enjoyed Jacob so much!
My kids and the wicked King Noah!
The next morning we had the breakfast we'd packed, and then headed to the Hill Cumorah Visitor's Center.  The tours at each site were different than those we've experienced during the "off-season."  They bring in volunteers to help the missionaries, and they whip you right through.  You also miss some fun details that the more experienced guides can give.  But it was still wonderful.

Clara or Brittany fixed the girls' hair in a new style every morning, and they were in heaven!
We added four more people later, but this was everyone with us at this point of the reunion.

Sacred Grove
Damsel flies near the Smith home.
Older cousins are fun!
Outside the Peter Whitmer home.

On Saturday, we went to Harmony, but I don't have pictures of that.  Oh, we also went to the Corning Museum with some of the early arrivers on Wed. night. 

John's mom fell off of our front porch Saturday evening as everyone was heading out for a walk.  They took her to the emergency room and got back in the early morning hours.  She had a minor concussion, but her face was as bruised as it could possibly be.  She looked like she'd been beat up.  I felt so bad.

I love living here, but it would be even better if we had family around us all of the time.  We sure miss them all.

No comments:

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...