| My family has always had pizza on Christmas Eve. Since we regularly make pizza (with wheat crust!), I thought we should try this. The kids loved the breadsticks! |
| Opening their one Christmas Eve present. |
Christmas morning:
Enjoying the presents throughout the day:
Artwork on the easel:
| Maggie's cat. |
| Eli's creation. |
| Love the outgrown swimsuit on a cold Christmas day. |
So here are my thoughts as I look at these pictures:
My sister sent me some blog links about simplifying. The writer of the blog took away most of her kids toys, and she found that they did just fine without them. She left them with toys that let them use their imaginations. I knew that the Furbys I got for Tori and Jonah wouldn't be long-term hits, but I gave in because that's what they both wanted most. And sure enough, they hardly look at them now. And I just got too many things.
I don't mean to take away from the happy memories shown here. It was a wonderful Christmas - but I think I'll do things differently in the future. I've told them that their birthdays will be smaller. (And they seem OK with that.) And for next Christmas, I'd like to talk them into putting the money we would have spent into a fun experience instead. Or toward helping a family in need. I need to try to avoid having them see too many ads and commercials as the holiday approaches. I think that will help a lot - no visions of Furbys dancing in their heads. And I need to keep my own tendencies in check. I'm afraid that I enjoy giving the gifts as much or more than they enjoy getting them. Oh, and I love the feeling I get when I find really great deals on things. (I really did get some amazing deals!) The easel and the microphone were our best kid gifts from this year. John got a little Kindle for me, and uploaded some free books. I've uploaded even more since. That was a fabulous gift. I gave John a coupon for a date with dinner out and the movie, The Hobbit. I really enjoyed it. We go on dates so rarely.
(Incidentally, I'd give the Crayola Light Designer a big thumbs down, even though my parenting and family magazines raved about it. Like most other electronic toys, it is only fun for a little while. A very little while.)
1 comment:
Thanks so much for sharing your Christmas through pictures. It's almost as good as being there!!! (But not quite.) I loved the comments about each of the pictures too. I love Christmas with children.
Post a Comment