Go to sleep, Jonah

This has been an eventful few days for Jonah. I finally decided I was ready to have him cry it out. (I wrote about doing so in an early post, but we never did more than a night - or an evening. I think he got sick. Or something. :) Anyway, I was more nervous about having him cry it out than I had been with the other two, because he was still nursing in the night. So, two nights ago he cried for 35 min. when we put him down. I wasn't sure if I should stick with his 5:30 am feeding or not, and John suggested I go online to see if he should go until daylight. Here is the article I happened to go to:http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-we-damaging-our-baby-by-letting-him-cry-himself-to-sleep_2644.bc If you don't have time to look, it states very strongly that letting your baby cry it out is emotionally damaging. It said that parents who do the CIO method are being selfish, and their baby is left to feel that it is not lovable enough to warrant being taken care of it in the night. Although I don't agree, it was a horrible thing to read as my baby was winding down after the long first cry. I just wanted to cry. Anyway, he didn't wake again until 4:19 and cried for about 15 minutes, then he just did a few wails at 5:30 am and then he slept until 7:30. So not bad. Last night, he cried for about eight minutes when I put him down and then slept until 6:00 am. Woohoo! I may be well-rested by the next time you see me!


Jonah has known how to climb up and down stairs for a while, but he has now figured out how to turn around by himself to go backwards down the steps. He has done it so consistently, that we probably don't need the gate, except to keep him contained upstairs when we want.

2 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Oh my! Your kids are adorable! Plus I just love your layout! Very cute!

Nancy said...

I didn't look at the article, but I know I read something pretty similar once (right after reading about how horrible you are if you refuse to teach your child how to sleep on their own so they know how to self soothe and get the rest they need). I love that sort of thing because you are left with being a bad mom whatever you do! I don't believe that at all though (about the emotional damage) at least when there is a very present lovign mother like you around (of course I can't believe that because Daisy cried most of her life at night!! And so if I believed it we'd be in a mess). Seriously though, I have friends who are such opposite extremes -- from the ones who sleep with their kids even up to elementary to the ones who let them cry it out pretty much the minute they are home from the hospital (that does seem sad), but the point is, with these kids (and even with my own who have had a little of all of this) you really can tell no difference what so ever in how content and secrue and happy they are because they all do have that solid loving environment. Penny was super easy though -- I'm sure whatever I did for her will work for all my future children (haha).
Life sure is much brighter when you get to sleep through the night though!

P.S. Jonah Jonah, Penny barely made it up one stair for the first time today -- then proceeded to fall off on to her bum and cry.

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...