Valentine's Day

We had a fun Valentine's Day. In the morning, we had pink milk (strawberry Nesquik) in heart glasses, and strawberries and cherry-filled Toaster Strudels on red plates. Not very healthy, I know - I'm my father's daughter. Then John and I went to the temple with our ward. That was such a great way to celebrate Valentine's together. For lunch, John took Eli on his Daddy date, because it was his turn, and he was very excited to go. Have I written about this? Once a month, John takes each of the kids on an individual date. They can pick whatever they want to do with him, but we often steer them to one of the places where we have a membership. This month, John took Jonah to the childrens museum, where he chose to spend nearly all of the time in the train and fire engine area. Tori and Eli both chose a pizza place where a balloon man comes on weekends and makes really cute balloon animals/characters. My parents used to do these dates with us for quite a while when I was growing up, so I know how much it means to get one-on-one time. We used to choose if we wanted to go with Mom or Dad, but I feel like our kids need more Dad-time. Besides, I get to do fun things with the kids all the time.

So, to conclude Valentine's, we had heart pizza for dinner. John got me a balloon - we're trying to save for our trip, so we kept it simple. We did win it, but there are still a number of expenses.

Last night, we had dinner with some friends and had such a great time. I need to try to do things like that more often. I sometimes avoid social events, large and small, because I feel a little self-concious - at least as I anticipate going. But I always have a good time. My extended family is my comfort zone, but I have so many great friends that I need to spend more time with. I should at least go to my book club regularly. Anyway, last night, our friends showed us pictures of their Disney cruise, and I have to say, that trip looks like heaven. Do I have any potential benefactors out there? Rich relatives I don't know who are planning on leaving me their estate?

I just joined Facebook because a friend told me that she was instantly in contact with old acquaintances from high school and her mission. But the Facebook thing is still a huge mystery to me. I was instantly friends with a lot of great people from our area/ward and many relatives. But I don't see how I'm supposed to look for mission friends, unless I can connect with one who is friends with others. (The terminology on Facebook still makes me chuckle. It makes me feel like a needy pre-teen wondering if people will be my "friend." But I'm covered; I've got all kinds of friends there now.) The big downside to Facebook is that I don't have the time to spend on it. I can justify this blog, because it is my journal, but I can't really justify spending time on the computer socializing.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

What a good valentine's day! Some years we have made it such a fun day, but somehow this year the day passed by very quickly with spackling and errands and we ended up hardly doing a thing. The kids did get insane amounts of candy though so they weren't too let down.

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...