December Fun

December is always a busy, happy month. Although it's hard for the kids to wait, Christmas wouldn't be the same without all of the events leading up to the holiday. The traditions are part of the magic. (But it's hard for me to wait too!)

The Church has a "Light the World" program, where we do some kind of service each day to remind us of the Savior, and to make the world a better place. Our family started off strong, but really fizzled. The month is so busy - but that's a good example of the "good, better, best" principle. Next year, I'll make that our priority. (One good thing that came from it was that we got back in touch with Sis. Taylor, whom we knew in our ward in PA.)

So, here are the "good/better" things we did this Christmas season:

We haven't been around for the city Christmas light parade before, since it is held the evening after Thanksgiving. We came back for it this year, since Tori's school dance group was in it.
Waiting for the parade to start.
She's sitting here, but they did dance along the way.
Frost-bitten nose and cheeks. :)


Vernal is more cultured than people might suppose, and has a very talented choir and orchestra (UBOC). They perform biannually. Tori and Maggie auditioned and were part of the children's choir.


The school also had a concert. It was enjoyable for us, because we had a vested interest in three of the five groups performing. (There's nothing worse than going to a school concert, hearing your child perform, and then having to sit through all of the other levels of band and choir.) Tori was in the middle school band and choir, and Eli was in the high school band.


We usually make gingerbread houses in December, but they are always frustrating to put (and keep) together. Also, we have used pre-made kits, which are cute but yucky. Last year, at the after-Christmas-sales, I bought a cake pan shaped like two houses; so this year, we made homemade gingerbread cakes and then decorated them with good candy! Very satisfying.


Tori did her nails, and Maggie's as well, with her gel nails stuff. She's very good!


Our ward did a "Back to Bethlehem" night. It was a beautiful night, and everyone loved it. But, at the risk of sounding whiny, it was a ton of work! The Primary was put in charge of the pita/bread and hummus booth. My counselors couldn't be there, so it was up to me to replicate the Pinterest-worthy booths that the other auxiliaries were doing. Super stressful. Tori and Maggie helped me, and it turned out well. And then we all enjoyed it.


I was in charge of Maggie's school party, and helped with Jonah's. We made Italian sodas for Maggie's, and the kids weren't as excited as I thought they'd be. In the future, I will just do some cheap and easy Shasta or something. Lesson learned.
I got Tori out of class to come help. 


I've always wanted to do fun advent calendars for the kids. The older two are just a little big for them now, but I found good sales, and they did enjoy them.
Disney Tsum-tsum
Lego


1 comment:

Gayle Harris said...

I loved seeing all your Christmas activities!! And I love the cute gingerbread houses. And the concerts, and your booth (you're always so creative, etc., etc). Thanks for sharing!

Decmber 2020 - Merry Christmas!

I'm trying to catch up, so I won't write a lot. The videos from Christmas eve and morning will give a more complete picture of what ...